Sunday, August 21, 2011

Message - Cheap Watches

  

    Cheap Watches

by Randy Nelsen


Its funny how you can get something that looks good, and for awhile it works good, but then the truth comes out, the thing was worthless. I remember when a friend gave me a watch as a gift, he  purchased it at Wall-Mart. It wasn't fancy or expensive, but i didn't care because i was just grateful for the gift. I thought the watch looked nice because it had a cool gunmetal grey finish with some gold fixtures.
I wore the watch a long time but then one day something happened, my wrist broke out in an ugly red rash exactly where the watch went. Every time I tried to wear the watch, my wrist would always break out and itch after just a few hours wearing it. I continued to wear the watch on and off for a long time, until  a few days ago. I decided it was best just to get rid of it.I know that some of you are probably thinking so what,  why are you wasting my time explaining about a cheap watch. I think  there is an important lesson in a cheap watch. Some of you are wearing a cheap watch, spiritually speaking. Our Timing, and our understanding is like a cheap watch, it looks alright on the surface and it appears to function correctly, but because of its quality, or lack of quality, it will eventually fail us. A cheap watch has no enduring value,it is a picture, and an illustration of our own limited understanding. Some of you have been asking God, why are you taking so long, others have been saying the same prayer, day in and day out, for years.  You believe that God doesn't hear you, or that he doesn't care . You might be facing a critical problem, or situation in your life. It  might be some sort of trial that has really burdened you emotionally.  Maybe its a life threatening health issue, or a severe financial situation. I don't know what your trial might be, but I do know this the lord does see and know your situation. Not only does he know and see the situation, he also has the right answer. The problem is that sometimes we don't like the answer he gives us. I want to encourage you with some scriptures that will help you to understand what the Lord has to say to you. The Bible says , For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the Lord Isaiah 55:8. The Word of God also tells us in the book of Psalms. My times are in Your hands; deliver me from the hands of my foes and those who pursue me and persecute me Psalm 31:15. You must remember that our times are in the hands of the lord. His ways are not our ways, we need to trust his judgment and know that his timing is perfect. There are other important scriptures that we should commit to memory when we face the Giants in our life Ecclesiastes 3:1 says this, There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven. You see God works according to his set times and seasons not ours. We can be sitting in hot humid weather and be miserable, wishing that it was Spring or Fall. The fact of the matter is that the season we are currently in is summer, so we have to wait for the right season to experience the kind of weather we desire. It is exactly the same principle that operates in our lives in the things and ways of God. We have to be patient and wait for his season, his timing, and his answer, not ours. We need to take off that cheap watch that is called self will. We are not forced by the Lord to do anything, and we don't have to wait, but if we choose to do things our way, then we will not have a positive result. Gods methods and timing are perfect. In the book of Isaiah we can find important instructions regarding time. This is what the Lord says In the time of my favor I will answer you and in the day of salvation I will help you  Isaiah 49:8. Even though the original context of this scripture is historical, we can still apply it today. Sometimes we just need to wait and and have patience. Isaiah 40:31 says this, But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.  You must understand, God is telling us that we just need to wait upon the Lord,  and renew our strength.I have been suffering from severe stomach problems and persistent pain for  a few years. It has been at times very frustrating, but I know that God is faithful, there is a reason for it. Maybe  its to make me tougher for Gods Work, or so that I rely on his strength and not my own, and to truly learn that his grace is sufficient, 2 Corinthians 12:9 says But he said to me my Grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in weakness. I don't know the reason for it, but God knows. The more I focus on Jesus, and not my situation the stronger i get, but if I focus on the symptoms, then it only makes it worse. We need to get our focus off our situation whatever it is, and shift it to Jesus. He has every answer, and he is faithful and true. Its just like the example of The Apostle Peter. When he took his eyes off Jesus and focused on his situation in the storm, then he began to sink, Matthew 14:30-31.The Lord will never allow you to go through a situation or trial that is beyond what you can handle 1 Corinthians 10:13 says this, No temptation has overtaken you but such is as common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. God will give you one of three answers Yes, No, or Wait. We need to be ready to accept whatever his answer is, because he knows everything. He is Omniscient which is just a fancy way of saying he is all knowing, he has the perfect answer to all of our needs. Today I want you to take that cheap watch out of you spiritually, throw it away and rely on the Lords infinite Wisdom. If you are struggling, then cast all of you cares onto Jesus, in other words take that burden that has been troubling you and give it to him. I want to share one final scripture with you. Psalm 55:2 says, Cast your cares on the lord and he will sustain you he will never allow the righteous to be shaken. God Bless you my friends don't be shaken. Be encouraged in the lord today, and wait upon him, because he will never fail you .

No comments:

Post a Comment